Indian is unique in having immense natural beauty is its different lions and in possessing a rich and diverse wildlife fauna Indian wildlife is incomparable in its variety for example, the tiger, the lion and the leopard room about in the same country elephants and the one horned rhinoceros are found here in abundance.
India has more types of the graceful deer and cats than any other country in the world. In facts, India includes more than 120 families of terrestrial vertebrates.
It has been estimated that there are more than 400 species of mammals, 1200 species of Birds, more than 350 Species of Reptiles and more that 29,70,000 species of insects in India
REASONS FOR WILDLIFE
- The wild life is the cultural asset of a country like India. It has deep rooted effect on art sculpture, literature and religion of the country.
- The wild life has also been used commercially to earn a lot of money in on way or the other.
- For the preservation of species wild life management staff should have a correct idea about the exact habitat which the species under consideration needs.
- Natural habitat of wild animals should be carefully protected.
- Shooting and hunting of endangered species should be totally banned.
- Habitats of wild life should be improved by constructing water holes, saltlicks and by raising plantation of better and nourishing fodder grasses and trees.
MODES OF WILD LIFE CONSERVATION
Protected species of Indian wild life are here they are, white eyed buck, black buck, Four horen antelope, golden cat, snow leopard, great Indian bustard, Monitor lizard, winter lizard, leathery turtle, marsh crocodile etc.
REASONS FOR DEPLETION OF WILD LIFE
- Destruction of wild plants of forests for timber, charcoal and firewood often deprives wild animals their most palatable food and affects their survival.
- Absence of covers or shelter to wild animals.
- Noise pollution by different transport media and polluting river water have adversely affected wild animals.
- Hunting methods of all kinds and for any purpose (that is, food, recreation, fur, plumage, tusk, horn etc.) have caused destruction of wild life.
LIST OF INDIAN SANCTUARIES AND NATIONAL PARKS
- Kaziranga Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Manas Wild life Sanctuary.
- Jaldapara Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Mundanthurai Sanctuary
- Ranganthittoo Bird Sanctuary.
- Bandipur Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Mudumalai Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kolameru Bird Sanctuary
- Guindy Deer Park.
- Sesan Gir
- Chilka Lake
- Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary.
- Daachigam Wildlife Sanctuary.